St. Christopher Carrying the Christ Child
Book of Hours, in Latin
Illuminated by the Master of Guillebert de Mets
The Morgan Library & Museum
The Master of Guillebert de Mets is named after the scribe who signed a manuscript (today in Paris) of Boccaccio's Decameron made for Duke Philip the Good of Burgundy, to which the artist contributed nearly a third of the hundred miniatures. Active about 1420 to 1445, probably in Ghent, the Guillebert Master and the younger Master of the Ghent Privileges were the two leading illuminators in Flanders during the second quarter of the fifteenth century. (Their similar styles are easily confused.) The Guillebert Master was at times a subtler colorist, as seen in this St. Christopher Carrying the Christ Child.