Standing Man Turned to the Right, 1528
Purchased by Pierpont Morgan in 1910
One of the preeminent draftsmen of the first half of the sixteenth century, Andrea del Sarto developed a grand, High Renaissance style that remained exemplary for Florentine artists throughout the years of Medici rule. The harmonious balance of his compositions and the naturalism of his figures were the result of careful observation and numerous preliminary studies, many of which were drawn after the live model. This elaborately worked red chalk drawing is preparatory for the draped figure of St. Michael in the 1528 altarpiece that del Sarto painted for the church of the Romotorio delle Celle at Vallombrosa and is now in the Galleria degli Uffizi, Florence.