Search collection catalog »
E-NEWS Facebook logo Twitter logo Google logo YouTube
The Morgan Library and Museum
Introduction

Mission Statement

History of the Morgan

The Morgan Campus

Press Room

Report to Donors

 

About the Morgan | Press Room

Press Releases:  2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999

MARIA L. FREDERICKS APPOINTED DRUE HEINZ BOOK CONSERVATOR AT THE PIERPONT MORGAN LIBRARY

Released August 1, 2005

Charles E. Pierce, Jr., Director of The Pierpont Morgan Library, announced today the appointment of Maria L. Fredericks as the Drue Heinz Book Conservator. She will join the staff of the Library's Thaw Conservation Center, a world class laboratory for conservation of works on paper and for conservation studies.

Ms. Fredericks was most recently Head of Conservation at Columbia University Libraries, where she managed the systemwide book conservation program for more than twenty libraries.

"Maria Fredericks brings outstanding talent and skill to this important position," Mr. Pierce said. "She has wide-ranging experience at some of the most prestigious rare book and manuscript libraries in this country and has an outstanding track record of achievement. We are delighted she is joining the staff of the Morgan Library."

In addition to working at Columbia University, Ms. Fredericks has held positions at the Library of Congress, the Newberry Library in Chicago, the Huntington Library in San Marino, California, and the Winterthur Museum in Winterthur, Delaware. She has also contributed to conservation and preservation efforts on rare manuscripts at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Jewish Theological Seminary in New York.

Ms. Fredericks has taught and lectured extensively on book conservation and belongs to numerous professional associations. She is a graduate of Swarthmore College with a B.A. in art history.

Mr. Pierce also acknowledged the generosity of Drue Heinz in providing funds to endow the position of book conservator. "Book conservation is at the very core of the Morgan Library's work and mission, and the extraordinary philanthropy of Mrs. Heinz allows us to attract the very best talent in the field," he said. "We are forever grateful for her support."

The Morgan Library, which began as the private library of financier Pierpont Morgan (1837–1913) and became a public institution in 1924, is a preeminent repository for the history, art, and literature of Western civilization from 4000 B.C. to the twentieth century. It is currently closed for a major expansion and renovation designed by Pritzker Prize–winning architect Renzo Piano. The Morgan is scheduled to reopen in spring 2006.

Press Releases:  2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999


 
Top of page


© The Morgan Library & Museum, 225 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10016, (212) 685-0008

Home Museum »
Visit the Museum
Exhibitions
Calendar
Public Programs
Education
Collection »
Collection highlights
Online Exhibitions
Music Manuscripts Online
Conservation
The Drawing Institute
Multimedia
CORSAIR Collection Catalog
Research »
CORSAIR Collection Catalog
Research Services
Reading Room
Research Guides
The Drawing Institute
Photography & Rights
About »
Press
History of the Morgan
The Morgan Campus
Employment
Internships
Volunteer
Support »
Membership
Make a Donation
Corporate Membership
Corporate Entertaining
Shop Contact

E-News | Site Index | Terms and Conditions


The programs of The Morgan Library & Museum are made possible with public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council, and by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.

Background images: Photography by Todd Eberle unless otherwise noted. © 2006 Todd Eberle.