Search collection catalog »
E-NEWS Facebook logo Twitter logo Google logo YouTube
The Morgan Library and Museum
Introduction

Mission Statement

History of the Morgan

Pierpont Morgan: Banker

Pierpont Morgan: Collector

Architectural History

Timeline

The Morgan Campus

Press Room

Report to Donors

 

About the Morgan | History of the Morgan

The Renzo Piano Expansion and Renovation    1 | 2 | 3

Learn more:

1906: Mr. Morgan's Library and Study

1928: A Public Institution

2006: The Renzo Piano Expansion and Renovation
  Performance Hall thumbnail
Performance Hall


Reading Room thumbnail
Reading Room


Morgan Cafe thumbnail
Morgan Café


Expansion Design
With more than fifty percent of the square footage located below ground, the new buildings are modestly sized and respectful of the Morgan's traditional architecture and the surrounding neighborhood. Gilder Lehrman Hall, named in honor of Richard Gilder and Lewis E. Lehrman, is the Morgan's first performance hall and a significant new concert venue for New York. The hall, located below ground in the northeast corner of the site, was designed by Renzo Piano and acousticians Eckhard Kahle and David Harvey, and features fine cherrywood paneling on the walls and ceiling and a flexible stage that allows for the accommodation of up to 260 people.

A state-of-the-art storage facility for the collections is nestled deep into Manhattan schist and is equipped with modern climate control and security systems.

The Sherman Fairchild Reading Room maintains the subtle charm and intimacy of the former facility but is also outfitted with new technology and many more workstations to meet the needs of contemporary researchers. Naturally lit from above, its translucent roof structure enables scholars to examine the Morgan's holdings in the ideal environment for studying manuscripts and works on paper.

The Horace Goldsmith Foundation Education Center is a multipurpose room that accommodates classes, small lectures, and other educational offerings.

There are two new dining facilities—The Morgan Café, located in the central court, and The Morgan Dining Room, located in the former Morgan family dining room of the Morgan house.

The Morgan Shop has been expanded and is located in two restored period rooms on the first floor of the historic Morgan House.

Library & Study | Public Institution | Renzo Piano


Top of page


© The Morgan Library & Museum, 225 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10016, (212) 685-0008

Home Museum »
Visit the Museum
Exhibitions
Calendar
Public Programs
Education
Collection »
Collection highlights
Online Exhibitions
Music Manuscripts Online
Conservation
The Drawing Institute
Multimedia
CORSAIR Collection Catalog
Research »
CORSAIR Collection Catalog
Research Services
Reading Room
Research Guides
The Drawing Institute
Photography & Rights
About »
Press
History of the Morgan
The Morgan Campus
Employment
Internships
Volunteer
Support »
Membership
Make a Donation
Corporate Membership
Corporate Entertaining
Shop Contact

E-News | Site Index | Terms and Conditions


The programs of The Morgan Library & Museum are made possible with public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council, and by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.

Background images: Photography by Todd Eberle unless otherwise noted. © 2006 Todd Eberle.