Search collection catalog »
E-NEWS Facebook logo Twitter logo Google logo YouTube
TheMorgan
Follow updates:

Time to Celebrate: The McKim Reopens
November 5, 2010

Finishing Touches
October 21, 2010

Reinstallation in Mr. Morgan's Study
October 14, 2010

Building Work Concludes, Reinstallation of McKim Library Begins
September 20, 2010

Mounting Ancient Near Eastern Seals and Tablets
August 10, 2010

Preparing the Morgan's Treasures for Exhibition
July 22, 2010

Selecting Highlights from the Collection
July 7, 2010

A Visit to the Gilded Age
June 25, 2010

De-installation
June 11, 2010

Preparing to Close
May 24, 2010

About the Restoration
 

McKim Building Restoration | Updates

Photo of Jennifer Tonkovich Follow Jennifer Tonkovich, Curator of Drawings and Prints, as she provides behind-the-scenes updates for the restoration of the Morgan's 1906 McKim building. Learn more about the history of the McKim, which houses Mr. Morgan's library and study, as well as details of the restoration. We will also post photos so that you can witness the transformation as it takes place.

Play slideshow
Play slide show
May 24, 2010
Preparing to Close

We are excited to begin the first full restoration of the McKim building. During the Morgan's recent Renzo Piano expansion project, the building served as a vault for portions of our rare collections. Since reopening in 2006, we realized that the interior of this American Renaissance landmark was in need of restoration. In order to allow for the necessary electrical work, we are temporarily closing the building, beginning June 1.

Shedding Light on the McKim: Overhaul of the Illumination System
Drawing on recent innovations in lighting technology, including LED lighting, the overhaul of the McKim illumination system is a key component of the restoration. While electrical panels and passages have been centralized over the years, the wiring is outdated and the fixtures inadequate to provide subtle and appropriate lighting of the spaces. The new lighting system will help retain the elegant aura of the building while allowing visitors to better appreciate details of craftsmanship in the architecture and interior decoration.

Additionally, historic lighting fixtures are being restored and reinstalled, including the hanging fixture from Mr. Morgan's library. Morgan was a patron of Edward F. Caldwell (1851–1914), New York's foremost manufacturer of light fixtures and decorative metalwork from the late-19th to the mid-20th centuries. The light fixture made for the library is a brilliant example of Caldwell's ability to adapt decorative, historicizing forms to the new demands of electric wiring. The Morgan's Director of Facilities, Thomas Shannon, notes, "We're restoring the original lighting fixture that hung in Morgan's library. Originally an oil lamp, with a smoke crown, it was electrified and hung on a chain more than twenty feet long. The bronze is beautifully chased, so we've had it cleaned for the first time and are replacing the glass globe, which was broken years ago." The fixture, along with an 1890s Persian rug of the type originally installed by Morgan, with its rich palette of reds, blues, greens, and canaries, will help restore a sense of the room's original decoration and aesthetics.

History of Lighting at the Morgan
The emphasis on lighting in our restoration seems appropriate given Pierpont Morgan's own interest in new technologies. In fact, Morgan's house (replaced in 1928 by what is now the Morgan Annex) became the very first private residence in the country to be entirely lit by Edison electricity. A knob was installed at Morgan's bedside, which was capable of activating the lights on the first floor, front hall, and cellar. The project was extremely difficult, involving the digging of a special cellar to accommodate the steam engine needed to run the generator, which made so much noise and smoke that the neighbors complained. Supports were subsequently placed under the engine, the house was lined with felt, and a trench was dug across the yard to funnel smoke and steam away from the houses. But problems still arose: Short circuits were frequent, and, one night, the wiring set the library's desk on fire! Despite these events, Morgan forged ahead and continued to support Edison, even against his father's wishes. His children testified to their father's ambitions and the ambitions of their time: "Certainly," Jack (Morgan's son John Pierpont Morgan, Jr.) wrote to his sister Louisa in 1883, "this is the age of electricity." Morgan's friends must have felt similarly, because they followed his lead and invested heavily in Edison stock. As a result, the electric light industry took off in the United States.


 
Top of page


© The Morgan Library & Museum, 225 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10016, (212) 685-0008

Home Museum »
Visit the Museum
Exhibitions
Calendar
Public Programs
Education
Collection »
Collection highlights
Online Exhibitions
Music Manuscripts Online
Conservation
The Drawing Institute
Multimedia
CORSAIR Collection Catalog
Research »
CORSAIR Collection Catalog
Research Services
Reading Room
Research Guides
The Drawing Institute
Photography & Rights
About »
Press
History of the Morgan
The Morgan Campus
Employment
Internships
Volunteer
Support »
Membership
Make a Donation
Corporate Membership
Corporate Entertaining
Shop Contact

E-News | Site Index | Terms and Conditions


The programs of The Morgan Library & Museum are made possible with public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council, and by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.

Background images: Photography by Todd Eberle unless otherwise noted. © 2006 Todd Eberle.